Friday, November 6, 2009

Introductions

I am a twenty-something college graduate. My Father is an electrical engineer and he encouraged me to go into science and/or engineering. I, of course, went into the humanities (history, to be exact). This has apparently come back to haunt me, as I've recently become obsessed with electronics. However, this isn't out of the blue...

As a child my parents encouraged me to be creative. While this originally manifested itself in drawing and painting, it eventually led to music. In my early teens I began to experiment with sound. This led to a bunch of noisy "songs" and an endless amount of sonic-experimentation. During this I stumbled upon a web page discussing circuit bending. I cracked my first Speak & Spell open when I was sixteen or seventeen. My Dad had taught me some basic principles of electronics, circuitry, and soldering so I was decently equipped to start destroying any toy I could get my hands on. After a series of failed projects, I gave up circuit bending. I took apart and slowly destroyed a few toys for the joy of noise, but did not actively create.

This abstinence from circuit bending came to an abrupt halt when my best-friend M. gave me a Casio SK-1. Having the SK-1 in my possession drove me back into the world of the circuit board. But, this time I swore I would work to create complete, long-lasting, and useful instruments.

Now that circuits and I are back together, I am exploring all the possibilities they offer. I mostly focus on sound manipulation devices (echos, distortion, etc.) and analog synthesis. But, I can't resist a good sounding keyboard. I intend to use this blog to document and share my creations.

...That was longer than I hoped it would be. ON TO THE ELECTRONICS!

No comments:

Post a Comment