Friday, December 11, 2009

The Unicorn Translator


I was planning on just circuit bending this thing for a friend for Christmas, but I fried the original circuit. So, I decided to use the casing to house a simple 555 based LFO/oscillator combo. The unicorn's horn was built to hold a LED. There wasn't one in there, so I stuck in a red one and hooked it up to the LFO (the speed of the LFO is controlled by the big ugly red knob on the left side). I also stuck a photoresitor in the unicorns eye to control the pitch of the second oscillator. The LFO controls the second oscillator's pitch indirectly through photoresitor. I was hoping to have the LED modulate the oscillator, but the angle didn't work out quite right so it only sort of works (usually only when it is fairly dark). BUT, the unicorn was built to buck and push a button inside the housing, so I used this button to turn on direct modulation of the oscillator by the LFO (using pin 5 of the second 555 oscillator). Obnoxious madness ensues. I was going to build a cover for the hole in the middle, but I ran out of room inside the thing so I just let it hang out. I also had to chop the battery holder up a bit because it was made for two AA batteries, and the circuit needed a 9 volt. Here is a short video of the Unicorn Translator:

No comments:

Post a Comment